My Summer Holiday Reads in 2014 & 2015

by - 1/14/2015 09:13:00 pm



 So, being the bookworm that I am, I have read over 20 books these summer holidays - one per day if I can- and so far, these are the ones that have stood out to me. I have to admit, I cheated a little with the first one having read the first two books of the series ages ago, but I only finished the final book at the beginning of January.  So here you have some of my favourite summer reads this summer (duh Sophia, it was like it was going to be the 2013 summer haha!)
Oooh also I thought I would keep things a little simple and offer my opinion in dot-point form so it would be easier to understand my view on the book.

The Reason to Breathe Chronicles by Rebecca Donovan (Reason to Breathe, Barely Breathing, Out of breath)

"No one tried to get involved with me, and I kept to myself. This was the place where everything was supposed to be safe and easy. How could Evan Mathews unravel my constant universe in just one day?"

In the affluent town of Weslyn, Connecticut, where most people worry about what to be seen in and who to be seen with, Emma Thomas would rather not be seen at all. She’s more concerned with feigning perfection while pulling down her sleeves to conceal the bruises - not wanting anyone to know how far from perfect her life truly is. Without expecting it, she finds love. It challenges her to recognize her own worth - but at the risk of revealing the terrible secret she’s desperate to hide. 

Reason to Breathe is an electrifying page turner from start to finish, a unique tale of life-changing love, unspeakable cruelty, and one girl’s fragile grasp of hope.”


But what do I think of this you may ask? Well…

-          All time favourite, for the first book to the last, it was an emotional roller-coaster
-          Finished the third book and was a perfect end to this heart-pounding breathtaking series that words just wont do it justice, like I could rave about this book forever.
-          It a magnificent great (tragic) story. Get your tissues out
This was a no-brainer, 10/10 hands down.

Girl online by Zoe Sugg (aka Zoella)

‘Penny has a Secret. Under the alias Girl Online, Penny Blogs her hidden feelings about friendship, boys, her crazy family and the panic attacks that have begun to take over her life. When thins go from bad to worse, her family whisks her away to New York, where she meets Noah: a gorgeous, guitar-strumming American. Suddenly Penny is falling in love – and capturing every moment of it on her blog.
But Noah has a secret too. One that threatens to ruin Penny’s cover – and her closest friendship- forever.’



Thoughts?....

-          It was cute, fun, quirky and I loved the plot and love story. Just goes to show keeping things simple is amazing and will leave you extremely happe
-          Loved the new York/brighton setting
-          Made me happy and I was generally satisfied with everything!
-          I am aware that this was ghostwritten, but so what, a good book is a good book. It was a bit hard to get into at the beginning but by Chapter 4 (p.36) I was sold and offers a good lesson about friendship.

I give this a 4/5

The Shatter me chronicles by Tahereh Mavi (Shatter me, Unravel me, Ignite me)

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior”



And what did you think?....

-Really enjoyed this one, the whole super-powers were badass.
-Loved the love story and character development throughout the books especially Juiliette and Warners characters in Ignite Me.
-A good thriller, post-apocolyptic, with really good descriptions of the settings (as I noticed a lot throughout the series haha!)

Definetly a 4.5/5.
Elixir by Hilary Duff

“Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful man—a man she has never seen before.

When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance, and they discover the centuries old truth behind their intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives—and their futures”



So??...

-Well I loved the plot, where the story was going and the characters of the entire series
-Hilary duff was my childhood dream to grow up and be like her so reading this series was a no brainer, and I wasn’t disappointed!
- Have to admit I was strongly disappointed that we didn’t find out what happened to her father in the final book which I thought ended abruptly. Howver, the love story was pretty good. I think by now its obvious I love me a good love story hahaha!
-Still the first two books were amazing with the whole immortality story and elixir of life is intruiging and well thought out so good job!

3.95/5…the last book was a let down
Tape by Steve Camden
“Record a voice and it lasts forever…

In 1993, Ryan records a diary on an old tape. He talks about his mother’s death, about his dreams, about his love for a new girl at school who doesn’t even know he exists.

In 2013, Ameliah moves in with her grandmother after her parents die. There, she finds a tape in the spare room. A tape with a boy’s voice on it – a voice she can’t quite hear, but which seems to be speaking to her.

Ryan and Ameliah are connected by more than just a tape.

This is their story”



Hmmmm….

-         -  Adorable cover
-       -    Adorable blurb
-          - Disappointing book and lack of character development, like the blurb had nothing to do with a book
-          The cover is still simple and gorgeous and probably the only good thing about this book

   Sorry but it's a  1/5 from me...

   Thank you for reading! (in both reading this post or even giving one of these books a go!)

Have a lovely day/night and don’t forget to let me know what your favourite summer or winter book is so I can read it also!

Blogging off
Xoxo
Sophia

Currently loving: PIES!! (potato pies preffebly)

Currently listening: Guys im still hooked on Years and Years. All their songs are literally amazing. I don’t want to sound like a typical girl her but I just can’t, I can’t even deal.



*just a bit of a disclaimer...all the blurbs are from the back of the books courtesy of Good Reads*

You May Also Like

0 comments